Lytham Market Hall in the snow, circa 1880
An albumen print showing a view of the red brick and sandstone Market Hall at Lytham St Anne’s in Lancashire.
Designed by architect Charles Reed of Liverpool, the hall was built in 1848 to replace an open-air fish market. The clock tower was donated in 1868 by Lady Eleanor Cecily Clifton. As the market started to decline towards the end of the century, enclosed shops were created. Today the building houses a bank, shops and offices.
A perennial problem for the photographer working out of doors was the gang of children who would invariably gather to watch him at work, usually standing somewhere between the camera and the object he intended to photograph. This canny operator has solved the problem by incorporating the offending children into his composition.
Condition: the print presents a few small imperfections in the area of the sky but is otherwise in excellent condition, with very good tonal range. It is mounted on a clean, stiff album page (with a small amount of faint foxing in its upper margin) that has been professionally split from its reverse side.
Dimensions: the print measures 8.4” by 10.5” (21.5 cm by 26.8 cm); the mount measures 9.4” by 11” (23.8 cm by 28 cm).